Everyone wants what they can’t have. I often dreamt of having long sleek straight hair but I’ve come to terms with my mane. The more I try to make my hair straight, the more I’m frying it. It can seem daunting to take care of curly hair. It’s frizzy, unmanageable and dry. Because of its shape, curly hair requires a lot of moisture, but your scalp can still get oily.
There are countless drugstore and professional products that cater to women with curly hair. A lot of shampoos, conditioners, and treatments contain chemicals that are doing more damage to your hair than you think. In fact, you may not be taking proper care of your hair and not even realize it. I’ve compiled a list of tips and natural alternative remedies for ladies that have curly hair.
Curly Hair Tips:
1. Don’t brush your hair when it is dry. This can damage your hair’s natural curl pattern. Instead, on wet and conditioned hair, use your fingers or a wide tooth comb to separate the strands.
2. Avoid using shampoos that contain detergents like sulfates and parabens. These ingredients are very drying and damaging to the hair.
3. Cold water closes the hair shaft and seals in moisture, so make sure you only use cold water to rinse your hair.
4. Avoid products that contain silicones. Silicones in conditioners are especially bad because it acts as a barrier and prevents moisture from getting to your hair.
5. Sleep on a smooth silk or satin pillowcase. Cotton pillowcases tend to break the hair when you toss and turn at night.
6. Do NOT use styling tools on your hair. The less heat the better for your curly or wavy hair. Skip the blow dryer and use a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt to dab your hair gently.
7. Leave a deep conditioner or a coconut oil treatment in your hair overnight. Wash the product out in the morning and style as usual.
8. Since the sun is so drying to the hair, protect your locks by wearing a hat. You can also add a little shea butter to your hair as a mild protectant.
9. Before swimming at the lake, beach or pool, rinse your hair with water and condition the ends. Curly hair can be porous, so creating a barrier can prevent damage.
10. Read the labels on all hair products and stay away from gels that have alcohol. Gels that have “extra hold” often contain high amounts of alcohol.
11. Protect your hair at night by wrapping it up in a scarf or “pineapple” your hair.
Curly Hair DIY Recipes
Chamomile Tea Rinse
chamomile tea bag
apple cider vinegar
Steep one teabag of chamomile for 30-45 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Let this mixture cool and then pour into a spray bottle.
Rosemary Clarifying Shampoo
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup liquid castille soap
15-25 drops of rosemary essential oils
2/3 teaspoon olive oil
In an empty shampoo bottle, combine all the ingredients. Shake well until mixed and before each use.
Deep Conditioner To Define Curls
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon honey
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until mixed.
Rosemary Lavender Detangler
small spray bottle
2 drops lavender essential oil
3 drops rosemary essential oil
1 teaspoon almond oil
In a small spray bottle, combine the oils and add filtered water until the bottle is filled. Shake well to mix. Spray on damp hair.
Tea Tree & Eucalyptus Conditioner
3 tablepoons raw shea butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons raw honey
6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
4 drops of tea tree essential oil
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
In a double boiler, combine the shea butter and coconut oil. After it’s melted, removed from the heat and add the vitamin E oil and essential oils. Stir until blended well and move the mixture to an empty bottle. Store this up to one week in the fridge.
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon sea salt
10 drops of lavender essential oil
Boil the water and dissolve sugar and salt. Remove from heat and let it cool until room temperature. Add essential oils. Transfer to spray bottle and shake well.
Jasmine Hair Oil
1/4 cup jojoba oil
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
5 drops of jasmine essential oil
2 tablespoons avocado oil
Combine ingredients in an empty bottle and shake to mix.
[tweetthis]Click to view my curly hair tips & DIYs![/tweetthis]
What sulfate-free hair products have you found?
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read my post. I hope you comment and share it!